In the late seventies, to bring in much needed finances to Auroville, several young pioneers launched what was then known as Encens d’Auroville, with a single line of incense packets of just twelve fragrances. Several years later, Paul Pinthon, one of the co-founders, was joined by his partner Laura Reddy. They then started building a company which would offer a total range of home fragrances with a recognizable brand image. Thus their first act was to change the company name to MAROMA, while retaining Encens d’Auroville as the flagship incense line. Today, Maroma offers a wide range of home fragrances and body care products :
- Home Fragrances: Incense, Candles, Sachets, Fragrance Mats, Potpourri, Essentials Oils, Reed Diffusers etc…
- Body Care : Perfume, Soap, Scrub Soap, Shower gel, Shampoo, Hair conditioner, Hair oil, Bath salts, Body lotion, Face cream, Face serum, Rollon, Body and massage oil etc….
Ma-from Mother, Aroma-the fragrance, Om-the universal sound, and finally back again to Ma-mother. These words within a single name were meant to give a new impetus to this unit which aspires to make beautiful and fine quality products that have become emissaries of Auroville throughout the world.
All our product lines are developed to create a feeling of well being and inner balance.
Most of Maroma products are 100% natural : we use natural essential oils and no chemicals. We are constantly working towards replacing synthetic raw materials with natural ingredients whenever possible, including natural preservatives and natural colors. Maroma products comply with international natural body care standards.
Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to marginalized producers and workers.
Since its inception the motto of Maroma has been to put people before machines, hence our work environment reflects this maxim. We are a member of the World Fair Trade Organization and Fair Trade Forum India.
We follow the Fair Trade policy for all those involved with the company, taking care of the cleanliness and safety of the work space to the well being of the workers. We have always run our business with consciousness and integrity to produce not only a beautiful product, but to produce it in an environment conductive to creativity for all those involved in the company.
Maroma has a particular sensitivity to environmental issues and a dedication to help preserve the planet’s natural resources.
- Waste is greatly minimized : our used cans, carton boxes, waste glass and plastic are separated and given for recycling to a company that comes and collects them on a monthly basis.
The waste wax from the candles is reused to make special candles at cheaper prices for the community and other activities. There is no waste perfume because it is being reused till it is finished.
- We filter our waste water with soak pits before it is absorbed into the ground.
- Most of the ingredients in Maroma’s products and packaging are recyclable and naturally abundant or taken from renewable resources. We are constantly trying to find materials with minimal impact on the environment.
- Our products are cruelty-free and never tested on animals. Most of them are vegan (only a few contain honey).
- We have solar powered lighting.
- Auroville is one of the first city to completely offset its electricity use by feeding into the grid wind-generated energy from captive power windmills installed by the Auroville unit Varuna.
Maroma’s Raison d’être : Auroville
To run the business in a conscious manner, to take up the challenges as part of one’s personal growth through the work, and to give to Auroville from the profits it generates, is the very raison d’être of Maroma since its inception. Maroma is a leader in the business world as a company which does not belong to the Executives and Founders of the company but to the community. We have been the largest contributor to the economy of Auroville.
Auroville is an international community dedicated to human unity and the advancement of society in a fair and non-sectarian fashion. The residents are involved in a wide range of projects including environmental regeneration research, organic farming, renewable energy, green construction, technology, handicrafts and small eco-friendly industries.
To learn more about Auroville, please visit www.auroville.org.